Thursday, December 15, 2022

Super Glue (and other things) In Low Power Rocketry? TIPS, Part 2

Mentioned yesterday:
On Forums and Facebook, I often see questions about construction and finishing.
What usually follows are recommendations from other "Newbies" who may only have experience building two or three rockets.
I never claim my methods are better than others. But, I've had decades of experience in Model Rocket construction. The following ideas are presented for consideration.

SPRAY PAINT
 
We've all seen the post: "What happened? My paint wrinkled!"
Ideally, spray paint should be used in warmer temperatures and lower humidity.
Whatever brand you choose, READ THE CAN for temperature and re-coat time recommendations.
Usually you can only re-coat within the first hour or then after 48 hours.

Paint formulations have changed since the 1960s. You can't just re-coat whenever. 
Not all brands or colors are compatible.
For the best luck, use the same brands of paint. If you have questions, test compatibility on some scrap before spraying your model.

Shown here is my current "go-to" spray paint - Ace Premium Enamel. I have gotten rid of the Rustoleum 2X spray paints - except for their metallics which have been good.

MASKING LINES
"I hate painting. My mask lines always leak."
There's nothing more discouraging than getting a ragged paint line after you spent hours assembling and sanding your rocket.

The model surfaces and root edge glue fillets have to be smooth and clean for the tape edges to seal for a sharp line mask.
You probably won't get a sharp mask using brown tape meant for house painting. You'll get much better lines using the more expensive Tamiya tape. 
If you are cheap like me, you can use Scotch tape.
Scotch tape is clear and hard to see when set down on the model. Lay down a strip of tape on glass and mark down the center line with a wide point Sharpie. Let the ink dry and wipe over with a paper towel  to remove excess ink. (Excess ink can wipe off and transfer onto your model) Cut down the middle of the long ink line with a straightedge and you'll have two clean, new mask edges to use.

2 comments:

  1. Like you said, nobodies methods are better then others, but this is where I find the Tamiya vinyl tape gas no competition. Being vinyl you can mask just about any curve or odd shape with one piece of tape. I've seen you use multiple pieces of scotch tape to simulate a specific curve and thought to myself, hmm, one piece of the Tamiya would have done that in no time. They both do the job, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea about the tape. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete