Monday, March 20, 2023

Estes EAC VIPER #0820, BT-55 Upscale, Part 3A, Decals & Color Matches!

In a comment, Andrew wrote:
"I remember reading somewhere that Testor's Panther Pink (which is purple, not pink) and Testor's Boyd's yellow were good matches to original colors. They came in the small rattle cans. Not sure if those colors are still manufactured."

My response:
Thanks for the information. The best purple match I found is Ace Tropical Pink. The Testor's Boyd's Yellow is available, looks like it is catalog #1214. When you add shipping charges, it's too expensive for a single build.


I'm overthinking the Yellow/Orange paint and decals - more edits.
Here's the yellow on a fin "E" logo and the yellow outside fin edge. I was concerned that a (translucent) yellow decal would wash out when set over white paint.




Here's a fix - I hope!
I did a very thin orange outline of the yellow flipped "E".
This gives it a subtle yellow/orange tinge and sharpens the edges. The yellow paint on the outside edge of the fin is already defined by the vertical purple stripe.

You probably didn't notice the outline until you see the enlargement.
There are usually compromises when making a clone and printing your own decals.

No comments:

Post a Comment