Friday, May 24, 2024

Carded Mini Goblin, Part 1, Parts

Goblin rockets are hot right now. 
How about a smaller BT-5 version for 13mm engines? This one is tiny at just XXXX" tall! It performs like a BT-5 Mosquito. You can also adapt it for Micro Maxx motors.

This model has paper skinned "butterflied" fins where the center fold becomes a rounded leading edge. The center core is cereal box cardboard.

The decal art was taken from the online instructions at Jim Z's, cleaned up a bit and reduced.

Don't use the above illustration at the right to make the rocket. There was some corrections made from what you see here.
Patreon supporters can email me at: oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and I'll send the full size PDF.


Two home prints are made, one on 20 lb. paper a second on 110 lb. cardstock. This 20 lb. print gives you enough to make two rocket bodies and launch lug skins. The 110 lb. cardstock print makes two sets of fins.


PARTS: You'll also need some BT-5, a plastic Quark style nose cone, 1/8" diameter launch lug, 65 lb. Kevlar, a 13mm engine block and clay nose weight.
TOOLS: A sharp knife, a dull butter knife for scoring the fin leading edges, clear acrylic spray, white glue and a glue stick.






To give an idea how small these are - 

Here's a side by side of my BT-60 Red Maxx next to an older BT-5 downscale version. The Micro Maxx is only 5 1/4" tall.
Heck, if you make enough of these, you could decorate the Christmas tree.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, I like this concept a lot. Incidentally, I recently made a BT-20 Goblin from extra material I had on hand. The engine mount is a BT-5 for mini engine use. I launched it last weekend with a A3-4T and it performed nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Anonymous,
      I made this one BT-5 sized, small without going to a Micro Maxx. The downscale classics are usually a hit at club launches.

      Delete
  2. I did this a while back and published it (and "Der Kinder Max") on one of the FB groups. I kept the fin sides separate so the user could apply the image to card stock, cut the fin to suit then apply whichever 'other side' they wanted.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/578447890834106/posts/587317586613803

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phill,
      If I knew you did these I could have saved some time! Nice work. Doing the "roll over" fins skins is a compromise but gives you a rounded leading edge. I like the idea you could pick which fin side art you want.

      Delete