Monday, June 30, 2014

More Interesting A10 and A8 Engine Comparisons



I ran across this engine comparison chart on the Apogee website CLICK HERE
Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

These are RockSim altitude comparisons. Granted, some simulator predictions are on the high side. The results are still interesting.

With the 13mm A10-3t engine and the 13/18mm Estes adapter, the Apprentice reaches 270 feet.
With the 18mm A8-3 engine (no adapter) the same Apprentice peaks at 239 feet!
21 more feet altitude with the A10-3t engine!
The A10-3t 13mm engine four pack is the same price as a three pack of A8-3s.
I'm buying more A10-3t engines now over the A8-3s for the cost savings alone.

TRIVIA: The Apogee Apprentice is the new labeled version of the Starlight Minute Man model.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Chris,

    I know this is an old blog post, but I think it still applies today. Because of the smaller spaces to launch (in my area) and the lower cost of 13mm Estes engines, I've been looking into modifying 18mm rockets (that can easily handle A8-3 engines) to run off of 13mm engines. Sure, I could use an adapter, but modifying the MMT to run directly off of 13mm engines would provide some weight savings compared to using a 13mm engine in an adapter. And like you, I've noticed that some of the sim data supports the idea that this should work.

    So my question is: have your real world results mirrored what you anticipated?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J.L.,
      I don't really have any real world results - I rarely use an altimeter. I just found the Apogee RockSim results to be interesting.
      For best motor choice flexibility, I usually carry 13mm to 18mm adapters in my range box. I don't use the plastic adapters but prefer tubes and centering rings.
      Someday I'll have to do a weight comparison between 18mm engines and a 13mm engine in their adapter mounts.

      Delete