Monday, June 2, 2014

Mini Mosquito Build Finished



A quick build for a model I'll probably lose anyway!

When I can find them, the first flight will be with a 1/4A3-3t engine.

The nose cone joint is smooth and the mask came out clean.
The yellow is a good color to see against the grass field at the schoolyard.
The new water slide "bug" was set on the fin.
The decal draw is coming up in a blog post.








Here's the Mosquito from the 1973 Estes catalog. This is the look I was going for.
My black paint went a bit higher than the catalog picture, more like the new kit scheme.



And, the Mini Mosquito from the Estes online picture.
The nose cone shape is more pointed than the supplied kit nose cone.
It looks like the black paint goes farther back, to the root edge of the yellow fin.
The side view picture (see below) on the instruction sheet shows the black paint line stops halfway between the fins.



Look close - 
What's wrong with the model picture at the top of the Mini Mosquito instructions?



What's was included in the Mega Mosquito kit that is missing in the instruction art?
This image was probably drawn before the kit parts were produced.
Post your answers in the comments section below.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't get an engine hook in my Mini Mosquito kit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it Chris!
    So what's wrong with the second Mega Mosquito illustration?
    This one is harder unless you've actually built the model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mega is sitting in primer at the moment. Did they change the decals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fins appear to be more swept and a bit longer (proportionately) on the Mega.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,
    You also got the second question right!
    In the pre-production picture at the top on the instructions, the word "MEGA" is missing. They just had the "Mosquito" name.
    Good work, sharp eye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Thomas,
    Not the answer I was shooting for - but -
    The Mega fins do look a bit more swept back than on the Mini model.
    On the blog post, the Mega picture is smaller than the Mini. I'll check the fin angle when I go home in August.
    Thanks for the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O.K. no more fire and forget rockets like the Mini Mosquite. My quark had it's nose cone blow off (it's old and survuved several launches, but I think I used wood glue on the nose and this was just a matter of time) and I lost my mini mosquito (A10-0 so I should expect as much). Well I'm going to build them both again and stick MMX guts in, already ordered them from Jim at Fliskits. Hell I'll even give em little streamers so they land safely (that Quark is just a light weight lawn dart).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep!
    I'm waiting to fly my BT-5 Mosquito until I get some 1/4A3-3t engines.
    I do want to fly it with 13mm engines instead of the MicroMaxx. I'm just concerned about the ejection sending it off in another direction.

    ReplyDelete