Sunday, June 1, 2014

Show Business Is Not Pretty

I arrived in Cancun about 7:30 p.m.
Got my suitcases and instrument cases and wheeled them outside to meet the driver. It is hot and raining.

I waited for an hour and a half - nothing.
I know both the drivers and their cars. They never showed up.
I figured they might be late or dropping off another entertainer at a nearby club for the nightly show.

My phone didn't have a signal - No contact
I stopped at the Starbucks inside the terminal, their internet wasn't working.
Two swipes of my charge card in a pay phone got nothing. Well, except for two $4.00 charges on my card.
By this time I'm pissed. It takes a lot to get me angry. I was well past that point.

I found the number of the driver, Christian. I borrowed a phone and called him.
He said there was no more airport pick ups. I had to take the bus to Playa del Carmen, one hour away.
Then find a taxicab and go to the apartments.
Take the bus? What bus? To where? Who's paying for the bus and taxi?
Add to that I'm dragging around two Anvil style instrument cases, two suitcases and a computer case.

I was never told about the new "No courtesy drive from the airport."
2 1/2 hours lost in the heat and rain.
I was tempted to sleep at the airport and fly home in the morning.
Entertaining in Mexico always seems to have it's challenges, but this was beyond belief.

I arrived at the apartments around Midnight. All I want to do is take a shower and go to bed.
The shower has no hot water. My room mate Karl says it'll be fixed in a few days.
Welcome to Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment