Monday, July 4, 2016

Blog 6th Anniversary!

Here's the first post from July 4, 2010 -

WELCOME TO THE MODEL ROCKET BUILDING BLOG!

While I've been active posting on The Rocketry Forum and EMRR, I wanted a place to archive my construction methods and builds. 
Everyone has their own "proven" ways of building rockets. This blog is not written to say I have all the right techniques. I just know what works for me and am always open for a better way to get it done.
Who knows? Someone might just pick up a new technique or be inspired to improve on what is written here.

In some posts, you might see a complete build from start to finish, then a follow up with launch results. Other days, I could post the results of tests using different masking tapes. 
Let me know where to take it!


Here we are, six years and 4,205 posts later.

After all the blogging I have to have some ground rules:
  • This isn't a forum. Don't make the comment: "That's not the way I do it!" Well, fine. My methods are only suggestions. Start your own blog, we'll see how that goes. 
  • Don't email me and tell me I ruined your rocket. This has happened. All I can say is: "Your first rocket shouldn't be a Saturn V. Slow down, take your time."
  • If you copy a picture and post it somewhere, please give photo credit. Don't copy my finished models and post them on your vendor website. I'm not doing this to sell your product! I shouldn't have to type my name across a finished build picture. 
  • And finally - If you learned something or a tip has helped out, please consider joining Patreon.     Anniversary Rant over!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the anniversary of your blog. Not only are your construction tips very useful, your photography is excellent. I admire your banner artwork and was wondering if you had a gallery of all your past blog banner images, that would be a really cool collection, and could even be an index of your past builds too. Keep up the great random thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenn,
      I appreciate the nice words on the photography. It's just me with an average digital camera. A little time is spent cropping and playing with the contrast.
      I have the banner art on a separate hard drive, it'd be a little hard to put together all of them without paying for another website. Blogs are a little restrictive with available storage.
      As long as I know the blog is helping out, I'll keep it going.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris, congratulations on the anniversary! Thanks for all the tips, tricks and the quality builds over the years. I'm encouraged to 'up my game'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter!
      I'm still learning how to up my game! Every build has hurdles, the problem solving is part of the fun for me. Glad to hear the blog is helping.

      Delete
  3. Chris please keep up with the blog. By no means do I use all your methods but I've definitely learned some useful stuff! I especially like your builds of older kits. When will we see the finished Klingon battle cruiser?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,
      Thanks! That Klingon Battle Cruiser will be finished up one day. It's rare when I don't take a model to completion but that one really threw me off. I wonder how many other builders put it back in the box for later?

      Delete
  4. Hey, that's not the way I blog! (Well actually I suppose that's because I don't have a blog.)

    Only reading for a year (since I BARed) but this blog has helped me immeasurably, bringing me up to speed on a hundred new or updated techniques since my last go-round. I still search the archives for reference material all the time.

    Here's to another six years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      "Hey, that's not the way I blog!"
      That was one of the reasons I started this. If you post on forums you'll get 100 different answers. Some answers are condescending and might discourage people away from the hobby.
      I glad the blog has helped out. I don't know if I'll go another six years. It's almost a job!

      Delete