Saturday, July 16, 2016

Semroc Saturn 1B Available!


ERockets has announced the return of the Semroc 
SATURN 1B Kit!

There is 30 1B kits in stock - CLICK HERE
This is the large, 1/70 scale model based on the old Estes kit -  CLICK HERE
To see the Semroc instructions - CLICK HERE
It has the Apollo capsule with the tower you assemble from dowels.
For the capsule and tower instructions - CLICK HERE
For the original Estes catalog page - CLICK HERE

I built one of the originals in the early 1970s but never launched it. I remember not being very happy with the way it turned out, I didn't have the patience I have now. Will I be doing a blog build of this Saturn 1B? Maybe - If I can pick one up cheap!

2 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that the Apogee capsule will fit this and leave your sanity intact. I want to build one these, and the Apogee capsule will make that more likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metalhead -
      The 1/70 scale Apogee tower should fit the Semroc Saturn 1B. But, building the old Estes style Saturn 1B is a major challenge from top to bottom!
      Building the old style doweled towers was a real right of passage in rocketry. We didn't have much of a choice in the 1960s and early 1970s. It can be done. I'm a little surprised by how much complaining there is about plastic towers where 90% of the work is done for you!

      Delete