Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Estes Interceptor Build #1250, Part 23, Misc. Details Part A

Sometimes I build two models at a time. The better of the two will be sold on Ebay, the other becomes part of my active fleet.
I'll be keeping the model with this wrinkly nose cone.

TIP: Paint on plastic takes longer to fully dry. Paint on balsa and Kraft tubes dries faster, those surfaces "breathe" more than smooth plastic.
The spray paint on the nose cone crinkled pretty bad. It was sanded down and got another shot of primer/filler.
After a longer drying time the next coats of gloss white went on without problems.



I wanted to show the difference between two wing pods before and after the Future clear acrylic coat. The orange fluorescent spray dries flat and needed a clear coat before the decal wrap was applied.
On the left is the pod before the clear coat, on the right the pod has been clear coated and the decal wrap applied.

I thought the clear coat would have darkened the orange color. It did, but only slightly.

On the second Interceptor I didn't get a full white coat on the upper end of the body tube. Not wanting to shoot the entire rocket again, I did a mask where the yellow decal band would go.
The decal should cover the paint ridge after some careful light sanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment