Friday, July 15, 2016

MPC Red Giant Build, Part 5, Parachute



That 18" diameter parachute is way to big for this rocket. The older I get the less I like to chase down drifting rockets.
I'll cut it down to 12". Set a ruler down, find your center and cut six smaller sides.

The tape disks are transparent and a little harder to visually place.
These instructions were old school, simply laying a shroud line and pressing a sticky dot over it. I prefer tying the shroud lines to the chute.
After these were set down holes were made using the rotary punch.


When cut down, you end up with a BIG MPC logo!
I didn't like the looks of the big logo and will install a 12" Odd'l parachute instead.


I rarely use a tri-fold shock cord mount. I was concerned about the "X" brace at the top of the adapter, the obvious place to tie on some Kevlar. The Kevlar might break through the thin plastic. Heck, the heat of the ejection charge could melt the "cross hair" brace in the adapter.

A tri-fold mount was cut out of 110 lb. cardstock and glued into the plastic tube using the Beacon Fabri-Tac glue. I don't think white glue would adhere the the plastic tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment