Friday, September 13, 2019

Semroc (Centuri) Taurus Build, Part 7, Fin Sanding TIP



TIP: To insure a flat, even fin surface, use a sanding block. I sand fins in a "circle". I'm not sanding small circles, I rotate the fin under the block while sanding. On my block is 220 grit sandpaper.

1. First, sand the fin side with up and down strokes with the grain, parallel to the leading edge.


2. After the first sanding, turn the fin clockwise, on quarter turn. Sand the side again.
EDIT: The arrow is turning the wrong way - I'm actually rotating the fin face clockwise.




3. Turn the fin again one quarter turn. Sand the side.

4. Rotate the fin one last quarter turn and sand.

After all the 220 grit sanding smooth the surface with 400 grit. Smooth the flat surface and remove any scratches.

Now the fins are ready for one fairly heavy coat of Duplicolor Filler/Primer, #FP101.
If you don't already use the Duplicolor Filler/Primer I recommend it. I've tried them all, some sand like rubber. The Duplicolor F/P is made for car finishes. When sanded to surface it will fill any remaining scratches and tube seams.

No comments:

Post a Comment