Monday, July 19, 2021

Piglet-sus! Build Part 4 Engine Mount

Set the glued wings, legs, ears and razor back piece in a heavy book to dry.
A certain TRF member went ballistic when he saw how I make MicroMaxx engine mounts. He doesn't see any reason to roll centering rings from card stock when all the pieces are available through vendors.
Sometimes a small parts order isn't cost effective. It's a good challenge to make them myself. 

Usually I'd roll the engine mount tube, but I did have a leftover piece of .276" diameter tubing long enough to hold an engine. The tube scrap was just over 1" long.

To make the centering rings, I cut long 1/8" wide strips from 110 lb. card stock.
To mount a 1/4" diameter motor mount tube in a BT-5, you'll need a strip about 12 1/2" long.
 
Start by tacking just the end of the strip to the tube end with a bit of white glue. Before rolling, let that tacked down end dry.
I usually lay a thin bead of glue down the strip about two inches at a time. In the picture a toothpick is used to evenly spread the glue down the card stock strip. It doesn't take much glue.
Roll as evenly as you can, building up the diameter. 
Again, apply glue 2" down the strip, roll and repeat until you get to the end.

Check the fit in a BT-5 tube.
After wrapping the 12 1/2" long strip, you might have to add on a second piece for a good friction fit.

2 comments:

  1. I don't see a Part 3 for this build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous,
      I've posted Part 3 - I'll set them in the correct order tomorrow.

      Delete