Friday, July 2, 2021

Estes Space Twister #7258, Part 2, Engine Mount & A Shim

The engine mount is standard. The engine will extend 1/2" out the back, a little longer than normal.

I did add a Kevlar shock cord, looped under the upper 20/50 ring.

The BT-20 engine tube felt a little weak to me, so I added a 20 lb. paper piece over the top of the engine hook. Not a new idea. Many kits in the 1970s had a reinforcement like this, or a cardstock wrap. Placing it over the top of the hook might stop some tearing or enlarging of the cut slit.


The BT-50 tube was a little out of round. This would be the end I'll slide the engine mount in, to form it round again.

The fit of the lower ring was loose and really didn't get the round shape back.





I ended up gluing on two wraps of 20 lb. copy paper to increase the outside diameter of the ring.

TIP: Note the expended engine left in the mount.
I do this for support of the thin BT-20 tube. It gives me something to hold onto when the mount is being glued into the BT-50 tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment