Monday, August 30, 2021

Differences - Flight & Show Models

Some contract builds are assembled simply for "Flight Demos". The "Show Builds" are more involved.
These pictures are from two Quest Astra builds.

The upper picture is a Flight Build, no seams filled on the body tube and launch lugs.
I do always fill the balsa grain though. 

The Show Builds get more attention.
A Show Build has body tube and launch lug seams filled and sanded.
A shot of filler/primer follows and more smooth sanding down to 400 grit.
Color coats follow. 

These are two versions of Quest "Quick Kits".
The top Flight Version has pre-colored body tubes and stickers.

The lower Show Version has filled body tube seams, Filler/primer and sanding then a shot of Ace Hardware Ford Gray Gloss which better matched the background color of the stickers.

The same work was done on the Quest Penetrator builds.
The top model was a quicker Flight Build with the pre-colored body tubes and stickers right out of the kit bag.

The lower Show Build has body tube seams and nose cone mold lines filled. A closer paint color was found to better match the stickers. 
TIP: I take the stickers with me into Ace Hardware to find a better match of the spray paint color.

Unlike years ago - Now the plastic cap color on spray paint cans is a pretty good color indicator of what you'll end up with on your model. 

When I was in the Ace Hardware, some guy was popping off the caps and spraying the shelves! I left the paint aisle, not wanting to inhale any paint in the air. 
An employee asked him to stop painting the indoor store display. The customer got mad, said he wanted to be sure of the paint color and sprayed the shelves again. 
The Ace employee said: "Stop, or leave the store." 
The customer slammed the paint back on the shelf, swore at the employees and stormed out of the store.
I always think: "Wonder if he's that much fun at home?"

4 comments:

  1. I am pleased to read this. Over the years, I have driven myself mad by over-finishing models. I have had some builds sit for a couple of years because I couldn’t get a near perfect finish on them and quit out of frustration. Lately, I have realized that I do this for fun and have been less particular. I’ve taken a “good enough” approach and I am getting more done and the overall quality of my builds has improved. I still obsess a bit over certain models but it’s dramatically less. Thanks for that insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rraeford,
      If I'm building a model for a customer, it has got to be a clean build! No balsa grain, no body tube seams. If I'm building a model for my flying fleet, it's a compromise. I probably won't spend as much time on it. Flying models get nicked up anyway.
      But a well built, well finished "fleet" model will last many more flights.

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris,
    That guy at ACE sounds like a male 'Karen'. People like that make retail jobs miserable.

    To rraeford:
    Your comment echoes my rocket building experience all too well. Like you, I am finally beginning to relax and remember that this is a hobby. And hobbies are supposed to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have discovered that I am much more content since I started using my old Badger spray gun for all my painting. Spray can cottage cheese, spitting nozzles, crinkled paint are all in the past. The only trouble is that Testors model master enamels now cost about $8 a jar!!! Still, I get far better finishes.

      Delete