Sunday, August 29, 2021

Paint Recommendation?

I hate to recommend any brand of spray paint.

I've been using the Krylon Industrial Acryli-Quik Gloss White spray paint with good results. The Krylon Industrial Acryli-Quik was suggested by David Scigs, a clean model builder. His builds are shown on Facebook and the rocketry forums.
This specific Krylon is like the paint I used on rockets in the 1970s. Clean coats and very forgiving.
It's a little more translucent than a Rusto 2X requiring more spray for an opaque finish.
This is not the standard Krylon you find at WalMart - It has to be ordered.

Rustoleum 2X is too unpredictable, especially the gloss white, red and blacks.
The gloss white can sometimes send out a rough, dull pigment loaded coat. The reds and blacks spatter. Other colors take a long time to dry.
I'm almost to the point of throwing away all my stash of Rusto 2X paints - Except for their Metallics - while they can take more coats for coverage, I've had no problems with them.

I've found the Ace Premium Gloss Enamel to be very good. (See picture above) An adjustable nozzle and even coverage. Big color selection.
It dries very fast to the touch - but I'd still follow the re-coat times. READ THE CAN!
When I've had to do touch-ups, a brushed on touch-up blends very well without lifting the base coat.

I hate to recommend a certain paint brand, 
but this stuff is easy to find and has been doing a great job for me. It's available at Ace Hardware.
Disclaimer: Your results may vary. 
Just don't send me an Email saying: 
"You ruined my rocket!"

9 comments:

  1. I mostly air brush, but have been using the ACE brand primers for a while I really like them. Plus there is an ACE in walking distance and about every other month they have a 2 for $6 sale on their spray paint

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uggg! Today on a Super Big Bertha I painted it white with Rusto and two sections have cottage cheese. I'll try and sand them down and repaint, but such a pain! Now everything is pushed out while I wait for the rocket to fully dry so I can sand it and fingers crossed on the repaint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      Rusto 2X Gloss White is the worst! I've had too many instances where rough cottage cheese has sprayed out.

      Delete
  3. I must be living a charmed life with my Rusto... although in hindsight perhaps I did have a can of black that seemed to give me trouble. Recently I bought black and white semi-gloss to see if that performs better; so far so good.

    I may give the Ace a try sometime. As an enamel, is it compatible with the Rusto paints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      On the few times I've sprayed Ace brand paint over Rusto 2X there wasn't a problem - but I still gave the undercoat Rusto plenty of time to dry. The Ace paint dries to the touch in about 15 minutes, but I'd still follow the re-paint time recommendations.

      Delete
  4. I have completely given up on spray cans. I use a Badger spray gun for everything now. If there’s a color I like that isn’t available in jars (like most Testors paint) then I spray it into a jar using a paper funnel. The time I take to do this is far less than trying sand off bad paint and respect. Also, it matter not what the humidity level is. I get a hard gloss no matter what. I even do the same with flat colors. I have had a bad time lately with spitting nozzles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please excuse typos. I should have done this after coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And BTW, the wait times are important but the cottage cheese effect comes right out of the nozzle. This is a real issue that the manufacturer needs to address.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For what it's worth, my experience with Short Cuts spray paint has been good. It is a Sherwin Williams product that Michael carries in their stores and online. The color selection is somewhat limited but it does the job for most builds.

    ReplyDelete