Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Estes DARC-1, #7307 Build Part 12, Wing Skids

The wing skids (laminated C parts) are glued on the underside of the wing fins into the square area on the outside edge.

In my build, the four piece laminated width was a little wider than the glue area. The right side picture shows the overhang. 

On a dry fit (no glue) I traced a pencil line around the C piece unit.

The penciled area was sanded to remove some gray filler/primer for a good glue bond.
The C block piece will still overhang the edge and be sanded smooth after the glue dries.

The overhang was sanded even with the outside edge of the wing with a sanding block.

This exposed raw balsa grain which required some filling with CWF and another shot of filler/primer.

2 comments:

  1. The more I look at this kit, the more disappointing that the top half doesn't feature glide recovery. Is it possible that it was originally planned to have glide recovery, but due to technical issues it was redesigned to use parachute recovery? Still, it looks nice, so I will probably get a kit and use your blog as a reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      When I first saw the design I thought it might have a "lifting body" glide recovery. It was made using blow-molded plastic. I don't think a glide was part of the original concept - a little heavy for that. But, I can bet a few builders will try some test glides.

      Delete