Monday, August 2, 2021

Estes DARC-1, #7307 Build Part 11, Seam & Final Balsa Fill

Here's the top molding seam of the shroud.
I've marked the recesses that need to be filled with pencil.

I use medium CA, setting a bead of glue in the recess lines. Do one side at a time, set the shroud up so the glue can't run. It will run! 
CA glue beads will take quite a while to dry. 
Sand to surface and the glue should have filled the slight ruts.

Sure, I could use Squadron Putty, but the tube always seems to dry out by the time I need it. I find medium CA (Original Super Glue, two small bottles in a package) at the Dollar Store.


I've taped the fins down to some scrap cardboard for a shot of Duplicolor Filler/Primer.

Notice the TTW root edges of the fins have been taped off and won't get paint which could seal the balsa.





I tend to sand off almost all of the filler/primer leaving just a little bit in the balsa pores that might remain after the CWF coat and sanding.
Left is before showing the filler/primer coat. The right side is after sanding the filler/primer.
CWF is water soluble so wood glue will adhere to the balsa. With most of the filler/primer sanded off I'll still get a good glue bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment