Monday, November 15, 2021

Launch! Orlando R.O.C.K., November 13, 2021

Our normal First Saturday of the month launch was cancelled because the field was flooded. 
We re-scheduled for the following Saturday. There was heavy rain on Thursday and lighter rain on Friday. Water was in small pools throughout the field. Good thing I wore my old shoes!
Winds above the tree lines pushed a few rockets into the adjacent field. 
I'm a wimp when it comes to losing rockets and wasn't up for long recovery walks in the water. I kept to lower power engines.
 


Roger Smith (Jonrocket.com) designed some new adjustable launch platforms, cut from ABS plastic on his CNC machine. 
These easily mount on a sawhorse base and accept 1/8" and 3/16" launch rods. Full rotation and angle adjustments.
My BONES rocket didn't get a launch in before Halloween.
The body was made from a Dollar Store candy casket.

Not a good start for the day - 
Check out the flame of the A10-3t engine. It blew off the skull nose cone, catoing right after it cleared the rod.
No real damage, shock cord snapped and the neck body tube dented. It'll fly again next Halloween.


Another test of a possible Odd'l Rockets kit - 
The Bruce Levison designed CORKSCREW with an A8-3.

It hasn't been painted, this is a stability test model. 
Heavy walled BT-20 and a BT-70 sized offset ring provides stability.
The original Odd'l kit was a BT-5 based model.
It did some wiggling on the way up as planned.



The Estes SPACE TWISTER kit had a very weak BT-50 tube. 
I slid in a long 50 sized coupler to strengthen the tube wall. That probably added too much weight.
The A8-3 probably got it to 100', spinning on the way up. It should be a good model at the smaller Soccer field with a B6-4. 



Tom Dennon launched his Estes ARV Condor.
This design reminded me of the old plastic Cox Space Shuttle America.
The Estes design had some plastic "holds" for the two gliders, but most of the build was balsa.




I caught the ejection.
One glider got tangled up in the shock cord, the second glider flew in.

I got two MicroMaxx models in the air - 

The ASP HAWK showed a little wiggle after the boost stage.
Streamer eject after a 80' altitude.

The new Rocketship Games HAWKEYE altitude surprised me, probably reaching 125'. There is no chute or streamer, just nose blow recovery. I was sure to keep an eye on it after apogee.





Last up was my Estes Citation PATRIOT with a B6-4.

This model has a Big Bertha flight pattern, Low and slow to 225'.
I taped the 18" chute closed about halfway down so it wouldn't drift.

Six it the air with one CATO.
Wet field with some winds but it was great to get out of the house.
My old shoes are still drying out!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do need to stop by and do some flying again. I miss the crew !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a good day. Sorry I couldn't be there.

    ReplyDelete