Thursday, November 4, 2021

Quest Lil' Grunt Build #Q5014, Part 4, Grain Fill & White Undercoats



This is a show build for Quest, they requested basswood fins.

On the left is the 1/8" thick balsa that came with the Mean Green kit. On the right is the basswood copy for the display build.
There's not much grain in basswood but I still give it a coat of CWF and sanding. It also got a shot of filler/primer and more sanding.

The instructions don't mention it, I did round the leading edges of the fins.

Here's the fins glued on and fillets applied.
White undercoats followed.

I wrapped some 400 grit around a Q-tip for some round cushioned sanding (and no sharp bend sandpaper scratches) in the fillet area.


I didn't have any used 24mm engine casings to use on a painting wand dowel.
Use just over one full wrap of corrugated cardboard around an 18mm casing makes a better fit in the engine mount.








After sanding with some old 400 grit - 
I'm ready for a second shot of gloss white undercoat.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris,,,,
    You need to get out there and fly some of 'em 'Mighty D Engine" birds so you can stock up on some 24mm casings! Great build so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      I usually have one or two 24mm casings - but with Covid there were fewer launches this year. That and the launch areas I have access to are small B6-4 fields.
      I thought maybe the cardboard wrap would help someone else fit a spray painting handle into a 24mm mount.

      Delete