Sunday, November 28, 2021

So, I'm An Idiot

Today I was called an Idiot on the Estes Model Rocket Facebook page.
Someone posted a picture of a Model Rocket motor taped to a stick. It immediately reminded me of a large bottle rocket.

My response: "In Model Rocketry we try to discourage any resemblance to Fireworks."

What followed were comments: Says who?'
And my favorite: "You're an idiot."

In the late 1960s I got interested in Model Rocketry.
Back then you couldn't get a rocket motor in California unless you secured a permit issued by the State Fire Marshall. Rocket engines were looked on as Fireworks.
It took a lot of work for the NAR, Estes and Centuri to secure the CA Class C Propellant Device designation. Now, the CA State Fire Marshall symbol is printed on all engines.

My past experience led to my response of:
"In Model Rocketry we try to discourage any resemblance to Fireworks."
You might as well light that bottle rocket with a fuse.

Sure I guess I'm the idiot.
I'm the guy who returns shopping carts to front of the store. And, I play the Banjo. 

19 comments:

  1. All I did was click on the angry like button on the idiot commenter. Now I'm an idiot too. Oh well, I'm in good company. We both got off better than the guy that commented under yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      In the end, that post was taken down by the administrators, and for good reason.

      Delete
  2. Eh, I think you’re doing it right Chris - living well is the best revenge and your much used and respected blog is definitely “living well” compared to some sociopaths’ random temper tantrums on FB. But if you want a tiny slice of advice don’t engage these thickheaded “rocket shooting” goofballs - just click the “Report” button and let the admins delete their nonsense. Yes it means their boneheaded hooey is up, available and unchallenged for awhile but usually not for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I was half tempted to click the "Report" button but wanted to make a statement. That post and replies were pulled.

      Delete
  3. Well, Facebook is certainly full of idiots, on that I think we can all agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      Yep, don't get them started on "What's the best glue?"

      Delete
    2. I joined in on one of those discussions once. I said that the best glue is the one that works best for you personally. I then had 4 different people give me r different insults.

      Delete
  4. As they say "ignorance is bliss". Reponses clearly born out of ignorance, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AAube,
      Some of the respondents would probably have had to live through the CA restrictions to understand my response.

      Delete
    2. and sadly, it probably won't take more than a few idiots pulling stupid stunts with model rockets, in a high-profile case, that causes a public outcry that could bring such restrictions back again...

      Delete
    3. Hi Naoto,
      That's really my concern. A wise man once said: "Because of the inconsideration of some, all of us must suffer."

      Delete
  5. Hi, Chris,
    If differentiating model rockets from fireworks earns us the moniker of "Idiots", then sign me up! I'm proud to be counted in the ranks of "idiots" from Orville Carlisle forward.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      Nuttin' wrong with a Banjer!
      Heck, the Banjo paid my bills for many years. I was just feeding the idea that only dumb Hillbillies pick a Banjo.

      Delete
  7. "Says who?".
    Says a guy who has been in the hobby for 50+ years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy,
      I spent a few of those 50 years playing down the notion that model rockets are fireworks.

      Delete
  8. Hi ,Chris, I don't want to get too off-topi - one of my fave musicians is Bela Fleck - a banjo player who goes from Bach to Rock !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      When I was in my late 20s, I kept hearing about this young kid winning all the Bluegrass Banjo competitions. Turns out, it was Bela Fleck. He has certainly taken the Banjo to new levels!

      Delete
  9. All you had to say, Chris, was on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete