Monday, January 16, 2023

Estes BOSS Kit #7316, Build, Part 9, Lower Fin Gluing

The low end fins are glued on, the motor pods haven't been glued on yet.

Note the tall fin is set 1/4" up from the end of the tube.
The tabbed fin (notched for the large disk) is even with the tube end.








I did a test fit of the disk. 
It wasn't as tight as I would like.





Look at the round index stock (overlay) and how it ended up when glued over the balsa notches - 
It wasn't a perfect fit.

A little bit of the disk and notch were trimmed until the fit was closer.








The fit is much better now.
I wanted a tight joint for an easier fillet later on.

2 comments:

  1. It has been a year since I have built or flown anything. Been busy loading and firing muzzle loading muskets. I was intrigued with the BOSS and the ANTAR and have one of each. I am reviewing your builds for tips. Also put a Saturn-1B together using xmas tubing and card stock. Hope to do some flying in Feb.--M MEJIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manuel,
      I hadn't seen you at club launches. My Dad was a muzzle loader. He had a percussion Hawken and a flintlock pistol. He enjoyed that more than his other more modern rifles.

      Delete