Sunday, January 1, 2023

Top Ten Builds for 2022, Part 2


Continuing the countdown -

5. Estes Super Orbital Transport
The new, upsize classic!
It's a job getting all the inside surfaces filled and smooth. 

For the complete build: CLICK HERE





A TIE at #4 - 
4. Estes Skylab 
A 4" diameter Saturn V variant. The top section is a difficult mask, but worth it in the end. 

For the complete build: CLICK HERE

A TIE at #4 - 
4. Estes Solar Sailer Clone 
This was a good surprise build. While not as complex or as tall as the original, there is still plenty of detail with the girder decals.

For the complete build: CLICK HERE
3.  EAC Firecat Clone 
This was a long, awaited build. I never ordered one when offered through the Estes Aerospace Club.
I suggested to Estes this should be one of the new Designer Series kits. It has an interesting back story - a S.P.E.V. made up from the leftover Vashon Honest John kit.

For the complete build: CLICK HERE

2.  Estes Delta Wedge Clone
This has to be my favorite clone - ever! It took a few re-draws and refits of all the cardstock pieces. A weird, fun design. 

For the complete build: CLICK HERE 

And the Number One Build for 2022 - 


 ESTES ODYSSEY 
This one sat unopened, in the bag for a few years. I was almost afraid to tackle such a complex build. I knew there were many cardstock details that needed edge sealing before construction. In the end, it wasn't as bad as I thought. 
You do have to plan ahead to get white spray paint coverage on all the inside areas.
 
For the complete build: CLICK HERE 
__________________________________________________________

More builds from 2022 not in the Top 10 list:
Estes Blue Origin New Shepard (2 built)
Estes Blackhawk (1 built)
Odd’l Rockets F-18 (4 built)
Quest High Q (2 build)
New Way Boxie Birdie (1 built)
Quest Falcon (3 built)
Estes Spaceship One (1 built)
ASP Ram (1 built)
Rocketship Games Alice’s Star Rocket (1 built)
Quest Enerjet Quad Runner (3 built)
36 Builds Total in 2022
__________________________________________________________

I'm embarrassed by my flight totals this year - Only 24 launches!
At my age I can't do the hot Summer launches anymore. It takes me the following day to recover! There were also some monthly club launch site rain cancellations and I didn't get to the schoolyard very often.
Still, I built a LOT of rockets!

3 comments:

  1. Been following your builds this year. Wow, have I missed out on some great building ideas. Happy New Year, stay well and safe. Looking for more pf your builds. As for me only10 this year. no launches, no place around here lets us launch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris would love to see a top 10 for the last decade. Just a idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,
      That's a good idea! To see all the previous Top 10 lists for each year, at the bottom of the post at "Labels" click on the words - Top 10.

      Delete