Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Estes Maxi-Brute Honest John (Kit #1269), Part 16, Some Fixes

Look at the flex on the fins.
The fin shown at the right is two vacu-formed sides, not glued up yet. The fins are stiffer when the two halves are glued up, but this is still too much flex for me.
Only one fin was glued together so far. I was letting things sit for a few days thinking about a solution. 

In the comments, Paul K wrote: 
"I like that you’re building this stock, it might actually fly on a D12-3! I added 1/16” basswood internal reinforcement, with TTW tabs, but it needs at least an E18 to fly."
 
Paul's suggestion for a interior reinforcement might be a good idea.
I cut a stiffener piece from 1/16" basswood. 
With the basswood in the middle, the (now) three piece fin is much stronger.

I didn't want to go through the wall. That's an iffy proposition when cutting through the thin fin root edge and also slotting the molded tail cone. This stiffener piece by itself is a compromise.



One of the launch shoes didn't turn out well.
The top piece cracked off when sanding and ended up at an angle when it was glued back on.

I cut another Part A from 1/8" basswood and have enough leftover B pieces to make another.

No comments:

Post a Comment