Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Quest Striker AGM Finished!












The Quest Striker AGM is finished. I ended up using a dull clear coat to give it a more military look.

It should be a great schoolyard or demo model with a B6-4.
It might make a good candidate for a D engine if the plastic tail cone/reducer could be reamed out and adapted.

Lessons learned:
The molded plates and raised detail on the Nike Smoke nose cone could be sanded down for a more generic conical nose cone. This nose cone is readily identified from the old Nike Smoke kit.
I should have spent more time on the plastic reducer. It could have been made out of cardstock to eliminate the step at the base of the main body tube. This would have reduced the masking problems.
Next time, go with the gray base color. While this scheme works okay, that white reducer sticks out like a sore thumb!
Still a sharp design with great looking split fins. The main body tube is STRONG! The decals were easy to apply and the clear edges almost invisible after a clear coat.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I love this rocket, and it's one of my personal favorites in my fleet. The soft, low-quality fin stock, poor molding on the NC and the white coat on the BT were a bit of a pain, but the size, price and deco more than make up for it.

    I painted the boat-tail on mine with Testors aluminum, which looked nice to me. I also airfoiled all the fins, which was a challenge. It tends to weathercock into the wind rather easily. I might build another at some future point, and replace the balsa fins with basswood.

    ReplyDelete