Sunday, December 4, 2011

Mars Snooper Build Part 6 Lug Hole Punch

The hole was punched using the largest cut tube my rotary punch, 3/16" diameter which fits the 1/8" launch lug perfectly.

I found I had to widen the hole, my punch might be getting dull.
A sharpened dowel worked great to slightly open the hole.


Here's the first fit of the lug through all three shrouds.

The instructions suggest an LL-2C which was 5" long.
I only had 3" lugs from the Sputnik kits.
At 3" it's just long enough to span through the three shrouds. I'd recommend the longer lug for a little extra room for the angled trimming in Step 10.

TIP: Normally, I would form the shrouds with the printing to the inside.
I don't want to take the chance of the #1, #2 and #3 showing through the paint!
But, there are too many cooling vane gluing lines that would be hard to re-draw on the shroud.
I'll have to take my chances with the printed shroud numbers later.

No comments:

Post a Comment