Thursday, December 8, 2011

TIPS: Brush Cleaning Part 1

If you keep care of your touch up brushes, they can last for years!
My mother was a professional fine artist, I learned how to clean expensive detail brushes when I was young.

I've seen kids (and adults) clean a brush by smashing the bristles up and down against the bottom of the thinner bottle. My hair brushes aren't cheap and I like to use them more than once.



After painting, gently wipe most of the paint off on a paper towel.







Dip the brush into the thinner, don't touch the sides of the jar.
Don't smash the bristles on the bottom of the jar. Simply dip in the thinner for a second.
Try not to leave any paint in the thinner.




Remove the brush from the thinner.
Brush the thinned paint on the paper towel.

Repeat dipping the brush into the thinner and wiping the thinned paint onto the paper towel.
It should take two dips into the thinner to remove the majority of the paint.

More in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment