Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mars Snooper Build Part 17 Upper Fins


Step 6 of the original instructions has you glue the upper fins on first to the BT-20 above the adapter. Then glue on the fairings and round the outside edges.

No, not this time! After you've built many rockets, you tend to build for easier filling and finishing.


If the fairings were glued on after the fins, it'd be tough to fill and smooth over the butt joint.

I've flipped over my straightedge so the cork backing is up and the surface is flat against my cutting board.
The root edges of both pieces are lined up and glued with a drop of CA.
I know CA isn't a permanant bond glue, but when these two pieces are white glued to the upper BT-20 tube, they'll stay in place.
After the two pieces are dry, I'll round the leading edges before gluing to the tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment