Saturday, December 31, 2011

Quest Tomahawk SLCM Build Part 9 Shroud Fitting

This shows the new tape width and position to allow clearance for the stiffening ring inside the shroud.

I ended up adding cardstock strips all the way around the rings for a better fit. One thickness of 110 lb. cardstock gave a better fit.

The Quest instructions show a gap between the wide end of the shroud and the lower centering ring. I felt with that gap there wouldn't be any support for the top edge of the shroud. I slid the shroud up and slightly over the cardstock wraps on the centering ring.
If done like in the Quest instructions, there would be a hollow area under the top of the shroud. It would be nearly impossible to get the shroud edge glued properly to the end of the main tube.

A ring of glue was applied inside the tube and around the cardstock strips.
The entire mount was slid in place.

If you left a gap between the end of the shroud and the lower centering ring, your engine mount tube will be flush with the small end of the shroud. In this build the engine mount tube extends out the bottom of the shroud by about 1/8".

Note the length of the slot for the engine hook.
The supplied shroud has a small notch for the hook. It was too small! When the hook is lifted, it would tear the shroud.
The top of the new, longer notch is 1/2" from the bottom of the shroud.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,
    I check your blog daily; really 'preciate your attention to detail.
    I don't see the fun in tending to every seam, shroud, and whoop-dee-doo of a bagged kit. I'm as vicariously-frustrated reading your blog as I was inspecting the two SLCMs I bought from Quest during their Christmas Sale. (Those body tube spirals are cavernous!?) Now I have to reprint and reengineer the tail cone? I sure hope to see that the decals work out perfectly for you, they're the selling-feature of the kit, I think.
    -Rick Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rick,
    Thanks for following the blog.
    My intent was never to dictate how something should be done or how much time should be spent to correct a mistake in a part or the instructions. Most kits can be successfully built and flown built using the supplied parts.
    I started to blog to keep a record of my builds and maybe help others past the "gotchas" in some models.
    Regarding the tailcone, I brought that on myself. When I substituted the thicker motor mount tube I had to make a new shroud that was a bit wider at the bottom.
    I'm looking forward to the decals, that's one big sheet!
    All the best on your build!

    ReplyDelete