Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dr. Zooch Saturn V Build Step 9 Jumping Ahead -

The more models you build, the more you'll jump around the instructions. On this build I am jumping ahead to make the painting and masking easier. Only time and many builds will tell you where you can do this.

The instructions have you glue the body wraps on in Step 5 and paint the vertical black bands on in Step 9 shown at the right.

I was concerned about using masking tape and the possibility of it lifting the card stock wraps when it was removed. I also don't brush paint with any success.

I decided to paint the black before the wraps were glued on, using a "dry wrap" to mark and match up the mask lines.


Here's how I painted the white on the body.
I left some primered body areas where the card stock wraps would be glued on later. The masked areas are slightly narrower than the wrap width to be sure the wrap covers up the paint edges.

The bare tube (well, there is some primer left on it) would give a better surface for gluing on the wraps.
The engine mount was glued in now, after the body got it's white coat.

In Step 2, the instructions have you glue in the engine mount. I waited until after the assembled body got it's white coats. This way there wouldn't be any more masking .

The instructions have you glue the rear centering ring even with the end of the tube. I recessed mine by about 1/32" so I could apply a small fillet.
This may effect the fit of the "Engine Cutout". I may have to cut down the diameter to have it fit inside the recessed ring.

The rear wrap was taped tight around the end of the main body tube.
The black areas will be pencil marked using the wrap.

Be sure to center the engine hook between two of the fairing locations.

Note: In the Step 9 drawings, the vertical black stripes are reversed. Looking straight on a fin the black should be on the left side, not the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment