Monday, December 31, 2012

Dr. Zooch Saturn V Build Step 6 Gluing the Engine Fairings


I did mark the edges of the fairings so the white card stock sides wouldn't show after gluing to the body.

Do this quickly and carefully, you don't want the marker ink to bleed onto the face of the fairings. I actually used a Sharpie that was a little dried out.



 
You are instructed to cut out the root edge of the fairing in Step 3.
I waited until I could compare it against the root edge of the finished fin.

The root edge of the fin doesn't really match up to the yellow "Cut Out" area indicated on the fairing.

The inset picture shows how I cut the recess to better match the tapered root edge.





When the fairing is glued, you only have to apply glue to the upper 2/3rds of the inside edge.

The lower third of the fairing overhangs the back end of the main airframe tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment