Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Rocket Tool, Music Fix!

This isn’t really a rocketry related post, but the few rocket build tools I carry on cruise jobs saved a part of my show!

Rocket building techniques can come in handy.
Think about it - did you ever lay down a line of vinyl caulking then smooth it with a fingertip like a fin fillet? I can bet the caulking lines you’ve set down are cleaner than any other home in your neighborhood!
The most valuable model building lessen I’ve learned is to slow down and have patience.
Sometimes letting an idea sit for a few days leads to a simpler, better solution.
Or like today, a quick fix is needed.

I’m rehearsing with a six piece band in the afternoon for that night’s show.

Setting up for the Musical Saw instrumental. I reach for my violin bow and turn the end screw to tighten up the hank of horse hair on the bow.

THE HAIR POPS OUT OF THE BOW TIP!

There is a small wedge of wood that holds the knotted end of the hair in the square recess in the bow tip. It must have flown across the room, I couldn’t find it on stage.
Without tension on the bow, I can’t play the saw. I’ve got to fix this, it’s an expected highlight in the show.

 

After rehearsal I ran up to the Lido buffet and grabbed some coffee stirring sticks.

Four were stacked with white glue, laminated and clamped with the only two clothes pins I’d packed.

After drying for an hour, they were trimmed into a slight wedge shape.
The tied hairs were set into the tip and the wedge pressed into place.

Another small wedge was added for a tighter fit.

You’ve got to be careful here, too much wedged pressure and the tip could break!

I did cheat a bit, I added a little white glue over the top to make sure the wood wedge stayed in. A traditional violin bow uses only the pressure of the wedge fit to hold the bow hair in place.
 


I needed a flame to tighten up the few loose hairs that were hanging below the tightened hank.
So, up to the tenth floor to the rear pool, where the smokers hang out.
I asked around and borrowed a BIC lighter.
The flame was “waved” below the hair. The flame heat shrunk up the low, loose hairs and all were now in line with the others.

The bow held up for the show!
When I get home I’ll buy two new, cheap bows for show work.

For me, this violin bow fix was a little like a rocket “field” repair.
Sometimes you can ”McGiver” your way to a solution with a minimum of available parts and tools.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen that happen to 'Saw Lady' - her bow broke right before a concert and unlike you, she didn't have the luxury of time to fix the bow. She took a twig, bent it, tide a piece of string from one end to the other and played the concert with that!
    If you don't know who the 'Saw Lady' is: http://youtu.be/lPvTTc7jAVQ
    She runs the NYC Musical Saw Festival - perhaps you might want to play your saw there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adooma,
    I've not met the Saw Lady but have heard of her!
    If you buy a saw starter set, sometimes they include a "bow" made from a dowel and thick twine. Once I forgot my bow and played the saw with a coat hanger.
    In addition to the NYC Saw Festival there is a West coast Saw Festival held every September near Santa Cruz, California.

    ReplyDelete