Monday, April 11, 2022

Estes EAC Firecat #0821, Build, Part 9, Masking For The Red Paint

Here's the mask covering all the white areas.
I don't recall any other rocket design where the main mask runs and divides the body in half. The smaller wing tips also stay white.

White on the top, red on the bottom.
Use gloss paint for better transfer of the decals. The instructions say to use flat paints.




Here's the mask after the tape was pulled.
For the most part the lines were clean and sharp.

The nose cone mask is tricky. 
I thought it would be easier to match the tape lines after the body was painted.
Slide the nose cone in and extend the body lines down to the center tip. Look down from base to tip at an angle to be sure the tape line is straight. It'll take a few tries, it isn't easy!

On the left is the complete mask, covering the white.
On the right is the red area - half and half.








Here's where we are - 
Decals next!

6 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful. I am still annoyoed, as an EAC member, that I somehow missed this rocket when it was first issued. It's one of my favorite designs ever, all the more impressive as a SPEV. Any idea who designed it?

    The Estes Conquest also had a split-body paint job. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      This one turned out to be one of my favorite models. I don't know who designed it. I agree - it's one of the better SPEV designs. I don't know of any others that have the split color paint.

      Delete
    2. By the way that is an incredibly good job you did on the nose cone mask. Getting a straight line like that on a nose cone is not easy.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Neil,
      I had to set down the tape, check then lift and re-set it again! It took a few tries before I shot the Red paint.

      Delete
  2. From Manuel Mejia:

    Where did you get the nose cone ?

    Sfkeesuv@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manuel,
      It's the full length BMS balsa cone -
      BMS50HJ $7.95 Honest John.
      I didn't have one of the Estes Little Honest John NCs from the kit everybody was buying on wale from WalMart online sales. Both nose cones are the same length and shape.

      Delete