Sunday, April 17, 2022

Quest/Enerjet Big Dog, #Q5010, Build Part 1, Engine Mounts


This will be a quick "highlight" build, a large four fin model using standard building techniques. 

Here's probably the tallest of the Quest Advanced Kits, it stands over 32" tall. 

This uses the 50mm tube, a little heavier walled than usual.
The fins are laser cut from hard balsa.

The instructions mention an 18" fabric parachute. My kit included a yellow 16" chute.






Here's one of the two Letramax centering rings.
This is the upper ring. I punched a small half circle to pass the doubled Kevlar line through.




Here's the 29mm engine mount in place, glued and filleted.

This is a picture from farther along in the build when the fins were glued onto the body tube and white paint applied.




The purple tube is a spacer that goes into the 29mm mount to move the 24mm engine mount farther back.

Both the 29mm and 24mm mounts are included in the kit.
 

2 comments:

  1. I’m a bit disappointed that Quest stayed with surface mount fins when they updated their larger kits for 29/24mm motors - though I’ll admit that my 24mm motored Mean Green with that style construction has held up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I agree, but like you mentioned, my surface mount fins on D and E rockets seem to be fine. Sometimes I will switch out and use stiffer balsa.
      I was surprised that the Mean Green was my favorite of the bigger Quest/Enerjet kits. The Testor's metallic green I used worked very well.

      Delete