Saturday, April 23, 2022

Estes EAC Firecat #0821, Build, After Thoughts, A Fix & Comparison

Naoto Kimura wrote in a comment:
"A potential "gotcha" with regards to the launch lug -- the launch lug needs to be offset from the side of the main body tube to make sure the launch rod clears the nosecone (something that the instructions does not state explicitly)."

You know me - I follow the directions!
I should have taken the bulbous nose cone diameter and launch rod clearance into consideration. 

Bar Geezer followed: 

"I glued mine inside the pod on the other side of the pylon. Gives enough clearance for the nose cone and hides the lug."

I ended up doing the same thing! Placed inside the pod the launch lug isn't seen.

I set a line of glue down a 1/8" diameter launch lug. Tweezers were used to place the lug inside the pod. 








Out of curiosity -
I placed the nose cone from the Estes Mini John kit next to the my new BMS balsa Firecat nose cone. The profile is almost the same except for the indented nozzles and lines. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Model looks awesome. I'll have to get the BMS nosecone, look better. I just joined Patreon, looking for fun with my retirement.

    ReplyDelete