Saturday, April 30, 2022

New Way Mars Snooper II, Build, Part 5, Parachute Assembly


The New Way kit shroud line tie/reinforcements are interesting. They are Tyvek and can't be torn. There is adhesive under the "dots" but not under the narrow folded bridge.
There are holes punched in the white chute plastic.
Center and press the round side directly over the punched hole.


Fold it over and stick the underside centered directly over the the hole.

The folded extension will hang over the edge of the white plastic a little bit. 


When I build a New Way kit, I always try to use the suggested knot. I find it hard to tie so I went with my usual Square Knot.


The shroud lines seemed very long, almost too long. 
I passed the ends through the small loop in the screw eye and tied them off. The excess was cut off.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    Judging by the illustration that looks like a bowline knot to me. It's a good knot for shroudline but I agree that it's tricky. Using tweezers helps for those who have the dexterity for that kind of 'surgery'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      It's a Bowline all right! I've got a few knots I use in my rocket builds. Maybe I should re-learn the Bowline. Bill at BMS uses the Bowline in his 3" diameter School Rocket kit.

      Delete
  2. Those Tyvek tags are wonderful. I’ve been using them for years to build ‘chutes as well as repair them in the field. You can get a long-lasting supply (1000 of them in a package) from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANI5KQ8/?th=1

    Bernard Cawley, having fun with the comments interface, but in a different way than before….

    ReplyDelete