Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Email about NAR Website - Model Rocket Building Techniques

An email from Eric - 

Chris,
I read through the NAR 'Model Rocket Building Techniques' and it is nicely done.  As a recent BAR I will say it took me some time to sort out my confusion between CWF and FNF and Sanding Sealer.  Now that I finally bought the right CWF from Ace Hardware, it makes sense.
I *cannot* get the right CWF at my (in CA) Home Depot. Home Depot only carries the Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler MAX (http://tinyurl.com/klr9yaz- which I bought, thinking it was the same stuff. Your article on NAR (I found this original posting via google [http://old.nar.org/HowToBuildAModelRocket/TheBestToolsPage2.html]) threw me off because it says "The new product is formulated for outdoor use."  The MAX product says interior/exterior - so I thought I was on the right track, but the MAX product is super grainy and hard to sand - that was a frustrating mess. Then I found your blog post "http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2013/11/get-right-carpenters-wood-filler.html", which gave me the clue that I had the wrong stuff. I hunted down the right stuff at Ace. (no Lowe's near me)  The NAR website should show this picture.  The new CWF is *not* for outdoor use and as far as I can tell, and Elmer's no longer makes a tub of CWF with the green interior/exterior label that is shown in the NAR picture.  Also, Fill 'N' Finish should probably be changed to CWF throughout the NAR guide to help those BARs like me from searching high and low for the wrong thing. (BTW, I also checked my local Orchard Supply Hardware and they do not carry CWF - crazy). 
Eric














My response -
Thanks Eric, it's a good point.
I'll have to contact the NAR guys and replace that picture.
Here in Central Florida you can still find the orange lid CWF at ACE Hardware and WalMart.

The problem is, Elmer's seems to change their products every few months! Vendors (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) change their available Elmer's products.
Elmer's changed their white glue to the "New Stronger Formula" and now engine mounts and couplers can freeze up when installing . The new formula CWF "MAX" is another can of worms!

Glad you found the right filler!
Chris Michielssen
www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. The Max is pretty much useless for rocketry. The orange lid CWF is available at all Lowe's and Home Depot's, as well as Ace. It's also available online as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just last week I went to Lowes looking for another tub of CWF and they didn't carry it here, but I found some at Walmart. Unfortunately the only size was the big honking tub that I think is the largest size. I threw away about 3/4 of one of those a year ago when it dried out because the lid wouldn't seal completely.

    So I brought home the big container but to keep it from going to waste I divided it up into smaller tupperware cups that seal really well, and then put those into a vacuum seal bag (Foodsaver) and sealed them up good. Hopefully this stuff will last!

    ReplyDelete