Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Speaker Stand Launcher

On TRF, TBSSJoe posted pictures of his new rail launcher, the base is a cheap speaker stand.

. . . "The stand is a speaker stand I purchased from Amazon for $16 shipped. Ironically the brand is 'Blast King'. CLICK HERE to see it in the aluminum finish.

Rail is a 5' maker beam 10mm. Plan on using it with the micro buttons procured from our friendly forum rail button purveyor.

The rail is bolted to a small piece of pipe that originally provided adjustable height for the stand. I am going to cut that pipe up into 6" or so pieces so I can swap out micro rails, 1010 rail, launch rods, etc.

I purchased a 98 cent drawer knob from Home Depot and ground down the provided bolt to slide into the rail. This will support my blast deflector. I'm hoping the cardboard will hold up to some G motors in my Leviathan.

Actually, that's just the template. I'm going to cut the actual deflector out of 16ga steel."

$16 for the stand
$10 for the rail and
$5 for hardware.


My response:
"Wow, that's cheap for a speaker stand!
I have two stands I bought (for speakers) in the mid 1980s. Both are still going strong!
The legs do open out for a wider stance and better stability.
You could probably telescope a piece of aluminum pipe in one of the legs to angle the launcher.
Lock it with a set screw."


I don't see how to turn the rail on its side to slide the rocket down the rail. But, if the stand is aluminum it is light enough the entire stand could be picked up and held horizontal.

No comments:

Post a Comment