Friday, March 13, 2015

Launch! Schoolyard, March 13, 2015

I hadn't launched anything in almost a month! The Orlando R.O.C.K. launch was cancelled this month, the field was too wet.
On the walk over to the soccer field I could see tree branches moving in the wind. I almost didn't set up the launcher but figured I could at least fly two MicroMaxx models and the new Spool.

The FlisKits MACME SPITFIRE went up on a MMX engine after changing out a broken igniter.
A textbook flight, the streamer kept it close. Altitude? Maybe 65 feet.

My last flight of the day was the Applewhite BIC STICK pen.
This is one of the better performing MMX models, and it's nearly free!
Altitude was 100 feet with streamer recovery.



My new Odd'l Rockets SPOOL had a fifth test flight, this time with a Estes C6-3.
Ejection was high up and the spool quickly went into a fast spin. It spins so fast it looks like a round blur. Altitude is estimated at 200'.
It had a soft landing in the low grass.






I haven't flown the Centuri VULCAN clone since January of 2014.

It was flown with an Estes B6-2 with a slight tail wiggle to about 300 feet.
The spill holed parachute brought it down slow enough, there was no damage.
Kids were riding bicycles to school. Noah stopped and asked a few questions. I explained how the rockets worked and gave him my business card with some web addresses to check out.

The 16th launch of the Semroc ASTRON was a loud Quest A6-4.
It went higher than I would have liked, probably 350'. The winds were picking up, I thought I might lose it. There was a long walk to to dog runs adjacent to the field.
No damage to this favorite.






Best flight of the morning goes to the Quest X-15 with an Estes B6-4.
The flight reached an estimated 300'.
At ejection the parachute was only halfway out of the top of the body.
At 50' up the spill-holed parachute finally opened!
I know I was saying: "Come on, come on . . . YES!"

Six up and six recovered with no damage. A great start to the day.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic stuff! I want our new steampunk group to look at a spot of air rocketry.

    ReplyDelete