Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Estes Payloader II #3022 Build, Part 10, Decal Redraw


I wasn't very happy with the kit decals.
The black stripes that go between the fins had some rough edges. The Estes logo wasn't printed clean.
The roll pattern was sharp though.

I originally wanted my Estes Payloader II closer to the Centuri catalog versions. The roll pattern might have to be a bit wider to fit the thick walled BT-50 I used.
A paper wrap was used on the painted tube to get the roll pattern width.
The PAYLOADER name was set in the "Impact" style font. Impact was the closest I could find to match the Centuri decals found on www.oldrocketplans.com.
It did take some stretching and spacing to get the name right.
It's interesting to note, the decals on the plan site show "Centuri PAYLOADER", not "Centuri PAYLOADER II".

EDIT: I didn't end up using the roll pattern decal I drew for the slightly wider diameter BT-50H tube. The decal from the kit worked fine! The overlap lined up perfectly with no gap at the joint. I'll still use the Centuri logo and model name I drew, it might have to wait until I print some other decals. I always combine a small decal area (like the Payloader II decals) on a larger sheet so I don't waste 3/4 of a decal paper sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment