Friday, October 2, 2015

Estes (Centuri) Little Joe II !!!

Just added to the Estes Coming Soon page - 

This is based on the older Centuri Little Joe II, the BIG one.
It'll use the D12-3 engine instead of a cluster.

CLICK HERE to see the Estes webpage.
To get a jump on the capsule build, study the original Centuri instructions, CLICK HERE

Arriving late December.
Retail price is $49.99

UPDATE: On YORF, John Boren posted:
"The only thing that is the same with this Version and the older Centuri version is the Capsule. This version has a Vacuum Form corrugated Wrap for the lower body tube. The fins are two piece injection molded plastic. All the detail pieces that get glued to the corrugated wrap are molded plastic. The engine nozzles are two piece molded plastic and have the rubber booties molded into them. Attached are a few images of a model I through together for test flying. It takes about 5 hours to build. I didn't use any primer or putty, just shot a coat of white paint and then silver. The nozzles should be painted black and white and the escape tower needs some black color as well but since this model was built to be test flown several times and then most likely thrown away, why bother. The HARDEST part to build on this model is putting on the decals. The finished weight is going to be more like 8.5 or so ounces with 1.5 ounces of this being clay in the nose. I hope to see a lot of these being used for sport scale events at NARAM."
John Boren






5 comments:

  1. Wow! Never thought I'd see this one again. This will save me trying to do the scratchbuild I was planning. There still might be hope for the Maxi Brute Pershing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,
      This was a big surprise for me too.
      It certainly is an improvement over the Centuri vacuformed fin fairings. I understand those were a challenge.

      Delete
  2. Oh. Oh, my! Estes has released sooo many cool models in the last 5 or so years. The latest being a BT-60 HoJo, but now this D-Powered Little Joe II? I, I...*faint*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Overeasy123,
      Estes is on the right track. Builder's kits, bring backs and now the updated Little Joe II.
      I'll be picking up two of the Honest John kits. It'll be a while before I can get to them though.

      Delete
  3. Figures, I shelled out $400 for an original in 2015. Haven't yet started on it. The instructions don't even bother mentioning using tape to hold the engines in as there are no engines clips provided, nor do they mention this for the purpose of holding the entire engine cluster which slides into the rear of the stuffer tube. I'm not sure I would risk any of this without the tape.

    ReplyDelete