Sunday, October 25, 2015

Estes QCC Explorer Build Part 12, Intake Notch Fix! TIP

I had seen Squadron Putty mentioned in the forums.
Most use it to fill seams in nose cones. I use medium CA glue to fill nose cone mold seams.
The Squadron Putty contains Toluene, a solvent that breaks down the plastic and allows the filler to bond to the nose cone plastic.
I thought I'd give it a try on the QCC intakes.

The CWF is water based and wouldn't stick and stay in the notch recesses. The CA glue used to assemble the intakes had sealed all the notch areas.
The solvent in the white Squadron Putty stayed in the shallow intake notches!
The upper picture shows the putty applied, spread out using the flat side of my knife.
The inset is the same area after sanding with 400 grit.
The putty dries quickly and sands easily. Most important, it stayed in the notch cracks and shallow recesses over the dried CA glue.

I had chose the white Squadron Putty over the original formula green putty. The white putty will be easier to cover with color spray coats.

3 comments:

  1. How do you think the squadron putty would do for filling the spirals in a body tube? I realize "CWF" is the preferred method and am just curious about your thoughts on using something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J,
      I don't know how if the Squadron Putty would work. Squadron Putty is meant for plastics, not kraft tubing. The problem is, Squadron putty is much more expensive and dries very quickly. In a few seconds after being out of the tube it dries. You are constantly recapping the tube or clearing out dried glue from the end of the tube. For now I'll use the CWF for tube seam filling.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question! I was thinking that might be the case (fast drying) but have never used that putty before and was curious.

      I have an Estes "Screaming Eagle" kit that while not as complex appearing as the QCC Explorer looks like it will have some similar "skill growth" opportunities with inlets and such.

      Thanks again for the answering my question and the GREAT articles!

      Delete