Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Super Glue Questions Part 1

On the Rocketry Center Forum, Kirk G asked about Super Glues:
His questions are in italics.

First up -
Super Glues get hard and brittle over time.
A older rocket constructed with Super Glue will have parts pop off during boost and on landing.
Don't use Super Glues to glue on fins, launch lugs or engine mounts.
In rocket construction it's only good for strengthening up a lip on a body tube, hardening a card stock shroud or lightly tacking some things in place.
Never use Super Glue on knots or shroud line knots. It runs up the line making it stiff and brittle.

IS there a shelf life to CA?
To extend it's life, keep it cold in the refrigerator.
Don't store it in the door, it might fall over and leak.

Is it known for leaking out of a plastic squeeze bottle?
Only when it's turned on its side! Don't let in fall over.

How often do you buy new CA, and in what quantity?
I buy small bottles as needed.

"Is there any way to revive an "old" or "Turned" bottle?"
Not that I know of.

What is best for rocketry?  Thin? Thick? or other 'brand'?
I have thin and medium. I buy the thin in a small bottle at a hobby store.
Unless you use a LOT of thin super glue, buy it in small bottles.
If the smaller bottle dries out, you are only losing money on a smaller bottle.
The medium I buy at the dollar tree store, two small bottles for a dollar.

What "brand" CA do you prefer?  And in what quantity?
You'll find your hobby stores name imprinted on Bob Smith CA.
Bob Smith makes all the different styles of CA glue.
The stuff from the Dollar Tree store is the original Super Glue brand.

And what do you think of this accelerator stuff?  Is it trustworth?  Does it harden at the risk of brittleness? Or other drawback?
I've never needed or used the accelerator. Thin CA dries pretty fast by itself. Medium CA just takes a longer time to dry.

2 comments:

  1. For the thin stuff, I buy the four or six tubes for a buck type (may be a few cents higher now) and throw away the tubes when they dry up on me.

    The best accelerator I've used is my own breath. Moisture sets CA, so I exhale slowly over the glued area and let the humidity of my breath do the work. Just don't inhale close to the wet glue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      I try to keep a few of the "four for a buck" CA tubes in my range box, but someone at a launch always seems to use them before I ever have the chance. Once they are opened, I usually throw those away. They are good for one shot repairs.
      Using your breath to accelerate CA drying is a great idea! I'll have to try that myself.

      Delete