Monday, July 4, 2022

Estes Blackhawk #2053 Build, Part 3, Engine Mount & Ejection Venting

The vertical engine mount tube:
The lower central tube is the engine mount.
I had to make a marking guide as my scanned copy didn't match up.

There wasn't a Mylar engine hook retaining ring in the kit bag so I did my standard electrical tape wrap.

For a while, some Estes kits didn't include an engine block. I incorrectly used the only engine block in the kit when it should have gone into another tube vent. It's okay, I have plenty of extra engine blocks. 
EDIT: Good thing I used the engine block here - The end of the BT-20 tube takes a beating when getting a good fit in the cut circle on the side tube.
 
Moving to the horizontal vent tube:

A shorter vent tube goes to the left off the engine mount.
A reinforcement ring (gray fish paper coupler) goes 5/16" into the vent tube. 
You will be cutting a circular vent hole through the BT-20 tube and this interior reinforcement coupler - a thick, difficult circle to cut out.  


A white cardstock bulkhead is pressed down onto the edge of the reinforcement coupler.

I peeled the inside layers out of a thicker engine block. This glues in resting on top of the bulkhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment