Monday, July 25, 2022

Quest Harpoon Decals Fix

I don't use clear coats - either overall sprayed or Future. I've never been able to get great results. 
There are some times when I apply Future clear acrylic to seal and strengthen old, dry, brittle decals.

Future can be used to hold down the seams where two ends of a decal meet. I dip a Q-tip, wipe off the excess on a paper towel then brush  down the joint.

I used a new, single edge razor blade to cut off the overhang on the outside edge of the decal. Use a "sawing" motion to remove the long decal without cutting into the balsa. That overhang chipped!

Some Future was wiped onto the decal root area and the broken up edge to prevent any more of the blue breaking off.


Here's a broken edge before the touch up. 

Darkest colors are the easiest to match up. Some Royal Blue paint was sprayed into a small cup and the decal breaks painted.


I was careful but still had some paint overlap the outside face.

After the paint dried, some very light scraping removed 90% of the blue. I didn't want to go too deep and cut into the white. 

Not perfect, but much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment