Thursday, July 21, 2022

Which Chrome Paint? None Of These! Part 1

Back story - 
I found an original Citation Quasar (in the box!) for a friend.
This was his favorite rocket - I thought it would make a good gift.

The kit arrived and was a great shape except for the "chrome" nose cone and fin unit. I thought at first these might be newer orange Alpha fins and nose cone that had been spray painted chrome by the seller.
Apparently over time, that chrome finish gets dull and mottled.
Why not find a good chrome paint and brighten the fins and nose cone. 

I've read on forums how some had problems with chrome paint when painting a model like the Mercury Atlas. It may look okay at first, but any handling dulls the finish.

I watched some YouTube videos where many different Chrome spray paints were tested side by side. I bought and tried the top three.
Some of the test sprays were done on plastic spoons. I had some black plastic spoons. Many say to use a black undercoat when spraying metallics.

First up was Krylon Premium Metallic, Original Chrome. The cap was painted chrome - I wish the test spoons turned out with that same reflective sheen! They didn't! 
Dull, no better than some Silver or Aluminum spray paints.


I've had some great results with Duplicolor paints. I always use their FP101 Filler/Primer.


 






Well - it was a better chrome than the Krylon,
Not a mirror finish by any stretch.

More tomorrow . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment