Thursday, July 8, 2010

Make Your Own Engine Hooks Part 1

Boy, I'm not going to make any points with vendors with this one!

I've been dissapointed by the quality of some of the engine hooks I find in kits. To me, an engine hook should spring back over the end of the nozzle end to hold the engine securely in place - not get an unrepairable bend when I install the engine!
Some vendors are not making engine hooks using spring steel.

Let's go dumpster diving at the auto parts store! Not really dumpster diving, you can find the tips of used windshield wiper blades sticking up out of trash cans at the front of the store.
If anybody asks, just tell them: "I'm recycling!" The best finds are on a weekend, the day after a big rain.
Take an engine hook with you to compare the width of the metal you're looking for. There are different widths and (between brands) subtle changes in the gauge of the metal.

Bring paper towels, that black rubber will get on your hands. Look down at the ends of the windshield wiper blades. If it's a usable blade you'll see the metal tips just out of the tops of the rubber blades. Some blades don't have usable metal strips in them.

Sometime the buyer slides the old blades into the new package. Shorter blades will have the thickness of metal you are looking for.
The picture at the right is from a Rain-X brand blade. That's the end of the strip that locks onto the frame. If you are lucky enought to find this style, it bends easily. You should be able to get 5 standard engine hooks from a short length blade.

I'm to the point now where I can strip the rubber off, take the metal, then throw the bulk of the blade away at the store.

Two replaced wiper blades can yield four metal strips. You can make 5 standard 2 3/4" hooks from each metal strip. Four blades = 20 engine hooks!

2 comments:

  1. This is brilliant, if you don't mind some sharp edges as you cut and install them. I've been stockpiling old windshield wipers for years! Now I know why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirk,
      I keep a metal file handy to slightly round off the sharp corner cuts.

      Delete