Thursday, July 8, 2010

Make Your Own Engine Hooks Part 4


Here's the hardest part - cutting off the hook.

I use a strong wire cutter. You'll have to "guess-timate" the cut-off length. Practice will get it pretty close. If it's too long, you'll have trouble getting an engine in and out of the rocket.

Pinch the cutters at the cut point and hold tight. I bend the end up and down until it cracks off. It'll take four bends to break the metal.

To the left is a close up
of the cut end before
filing off the rough edge.

At the right is
after dressing up
with a metal file.


Before using this engine hook in a engine mount -
Set an engine casing into the hook you made to be sure it fits! The hook should be just a bit longer than the length of an engine.
I can just hear a rocket builder saying:
"I'd never lower myself to reach into a trash can to save $.50 on an engine hook!
Fine - then don't! But I just made 20 engine hooks in thirty minutes and saved $10.00.
I can live with that knowing they're better than what are included in some kits.

No comments:

Post a Comment