Sunday, October 23, 2022

Barberville, FL, International Festival of the Musical Saw

No Internet and or build posts this weekend - I was in Barberville, Florida for the 1st International Festival of the Musical Saw.
That's me holding my Musical Saw to the right side of Tim Martin who coordinated the event. In my pocket are some Rattle Bones. One vendor was selling wood bones. I gave introductory lessons to those who bought a set.

I was very surprised (actually shocked) to win the "Professional" division. First prize was a saw sculpture and $500! 

Some played classical music and melodies that nobody knew. I handled it like a short show. My selections were recognizable and talked between songs with (hopefully) funny introductions. My opening line was: "You ready for some heavy metal music?"
 


Here's one you don't see everyday, the "Holy Grail" of Musical Saws. a Deluxe Mussehl and Westphal from the 1930s. Gold plated with rhinestones set around the screw handle washers. A valuable saw in the original wood case. 


This is Yolanda who traveled all the way from Poland to compete!
She plays a thin piece of sheet metal and uses a handle for the left hand grip. Saw snobs call the handle a "cheater".  
Others traveled from Hungary, Finland, Canada, California, Massachusetts, Georgia, Arkansas and six others from Florida.

While all other played long trapezoidal sheet metal, I was the only competitor that played something that looked like a hand saw. I didn't use a cheater handle, the "S" bend is traditionally made with just the fingertips.

 Here's some of the competitors for a group shot.  
I'm in the back row wearing my Estes cap.
Some people did recognize the Estes logo and we talked rockets for a few minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win.

    I have to say "the 'Holy Grail' of Musical Saws" is a pretty funny collection of words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, look like ya had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I see!", said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

    That is a really cool competition to win! Congrats!!
    Not many folks can, in the same breath, claim to be a master rocket builder AND musical saw maestro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You ready for some heavy metal music?" gave me a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete