Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Estes Solar Sailer II, Kit # 2044, Step 7, Gluing In The Central Tube & The Gusset Fins

The low end with the motor mount is slid into the shorter BT-50 tube.
Glue is sneaked in under the upper centering before it is slid in. I used the end of a Q-tip with the cotton removed.

When you've got a good ring of glue around the inside of the tube, slide in the upper ring.

I used the side of my straightedge to be sure the ring face was even with the edge of the BT-50. 



I set the lower ring down farther than the instructions suggested. With the lower ring 1/4" from the bottom I could add fillets easily. Here again is a Q-tip stick applying and smoothing out the inside glue fillet.

The three middle position Gussets are centered between the lower fin positions.

I folded the marking guide between the gusset positions. The folds were lined up directly over the lower fins. 
The gusset positions were marked with pencil.


The top picture shows the filler/primer scraped off down the gusset glue line.




The gusset end sits against the centering ring step.

No comments:

Post a Comment