Monday, November 7, 2022

R.O.C.K. Club Monthly Launch, November 5, 2022


This was the first Club Launch I've attended since May! The flooded club field was pretty much dry a month after Hurricane Ian. 

Here's Cory cleaning off the micro clips. The clips were caught in the rain and had rusted some between monthly meetings.

I tried to launch some of the rockets that didn't get in the air at last weeks soccer field launch. Some of the engines were swapped out for more power in the larger field.

First launch for the EAC FIRECAT clone. I got some grief that the launch rod was rubbing up against the nose cone. I forgot that I had added a second launch lug in the ramjet tube. I switched to the outside lug.

The A8-3 engine got it to probably 200'. Full chute delpoy and no damage.

Another first flight of the Estes Columbia SHUTTLE.
I was concerned about stability - Some Rocket Reviews had mentioned it going horizontal and plowing in under power. 
The B6-4 engine did it's job to 275', the single raised elevon provided a slow turn during boost - perfectly vertical!

I didn't get a good boost picture, but the recovery shots were pretty good. Note the "no tangle" shroud lines.



John launched his daughter Ella's Odd'l Little Green Man while she was away.
He'll have some explaining to do!
It was caught high up on a power line.









Chris Hubbard and his wife are visiting from Canada. Their annual Winter trip takes them to Central Florida.

Here Chris is connecting up his Quest Penetrator for launch. I asked if he "enjoyed" placing all the stickers as much as I did.








Gary Launched his Estes Star Orbiter (renamed the Star Chaser) from the mid power pad.
I was surprised how well it performed on the D12-5 motor.

Gary didn't use the face card colors or kit decals. Some custom vinyl graphics really sets the model above the standard kit paint and decal.












I keep telling Gary: "You need a longer shock cord!






I only got three rockets in the air today. 
Two separate downpours slowed up the activity as the controllers had to be pulled under cover.
After the second rain, the launchers were packed up.

Here's the downscale Centuri ALIEN FLYING SAUCER on a C6-3 to 325'. I built this one complete with glow in the dark sticker "lights" around the perimeter.

On another note - 
I bought a Estes Maxi Brute Honest John from vendor Tom Tweit!
Sure the box was a bit worn out - but it was a great price and will be a good blog build in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Must have been in the air, so to speak, since I made my first launch in a long time. Looks a good time was had by all. Really looking forward to a Maxi Ho Jo build!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Launches look great. The FireCat is on my build list, after the LLV 201.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've never had any issues with my 40-year-old Space Shuttle Columbia going horizontal. It's probably been about 20 years since mine last flew, but I always recall a slow roll during ascent, but then an almost glide-like coast phase.

    ReplyDelete